Friday 1 April 2011

The House of Hackney Pop Up Tea Rooms.


Quick! Get up to Dalston and visit the showrooms of the beautiful House of Hackney. Only open until Sunday 3rd April, Castle Gibson's flaking walls have been taken over; upstairs hosting two floors of House of Hackney's magnificent collection homewares and textiles, and downstairs hosting Lily Vanilli's tearooms. With more mismatched floral crocks than you can shake a teaspoon at, for £10 you may dine for high tea, sampling three baked treats and drinking unlimited pots of tea. I sampled the flourless orange cake, chocolate brownie and a lavender meringue, and they were spectacular. I do feel I missed out not sampling the absinthe and mint chocolate chip ice cream though....

I was lucky enough to have a consultation with the guest doctor, adorned in a fine tweed waistcoat and bow tie, he held my hand for a few moments across the desk and asked me to close my eyes, he then rang a bell and typed away my diagnosis and prescription at his typewriter. The treatment for my problem is apparently 'presents' and 'a good time'.
It was a very surreal experience, but I liked it.
Have a peek at the flyer here.

No comments: